Search This Blog

Thursday, October 20, 2011

Water Front


We all know that we have to drink at least 8 cups of water, including me. As you read in my last post,I drink only a third of this recommended amount.Coming out of the assumption that I am pretty sane (I checked, for real), why am I not running around with a bottle of water during cool days and not only summer days?
In an attempt to make the change, I went to find out why is it so important to drink water. Not coffee, not soda, not anything else.
Did you know that about of 75 per cent of Americans have mild, chronic dehydration? Pretty scary statistics for a developed country that has available water through every tap.Are you tired during the day? Suffer from short-term memory loss? Have trouble reading this? You might be one of these 75%.
Apparently, out body relies on water as a base of almost all of it’s functions, from creating saliva to removing waste from it, and being the number one detox agent.I knew all that, but I didn’t know it decreases the chance for colon cancer by 45%, bladder cancer by 50% and in new studies, breast cancer.
Well, I am not in the business of scaring myself, and call me vain, but the most convincing arguments for me will always be the ones that are connected to diet and staying young…
When I say young, think grape vs. raisin, fresh vs. wrinkles- you got the picture. Water is the number one medicine to ensure longevity, and since it “drives” the food out of your body, guess what happens when you consume the needed amount of water.


OK. I got it. 8-10 cups of water is good for us. Now how do I get to drink this amount???
My friend T says she runs everywhere with a full bottle of water. The fact that it’s in front of her, makes it easy for her to remember to drink. I tried to put 2 liters of water in front of me, but the bottles looked at me and I looked at them. Do I have a problem with commitment??


Seriously, I think that the problem of sticking to a water regime or any other, for that matter is coming from another place. Laziness? Self- destruction? Lack of discipline? Or maybe just not believing that good things are so easy to get?
Theories of change say that you need 90 days in order to turn a change into a new habbit, so in the next 3 months, I am planning to take water with me, order only water at restaurants, drink a cup of water when I wake up and a cup of water before I go to sleep. Is anyone joining me?

1 comment: