Search This Blog

Sunday, March 6, 2011

SALT! What About It?


Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea”(Pythagoras 580 BC – 500BC).

Today I'm going to talk  about salt. This common ingredient has turned out to be very sophisticated, up to the point that being a salt expert is a profession by itself called “Selmelier”, a term based on the word “ Somelier”, a waiter that consults about wine.
There are so many varieties with different functions: for cooking (all purpose salt), baking, salad and for garnish (finishing salt). From the classic Fleur De Sell to smoked salt and red salt.
I use, in my home kitchen, kosher salt, and sea salt from the Dead Sea, as my main go-to salts. I decided to check out some of the more exotic ones, and also some other quality all-purpose sea salts, to see if there is a difference, and more importantly if you can taste it.
I checked out the on-line store, The Meadow, that specializes in different kinds of salts. You can find that this store's sets are intended for beginners and for chefs and professionals.
In the name of experiment, I purchased the beginner's set. It has 6 different kinds of finishing salt, and when I got it today I was definitely intrigued.
My kids and their friend were hovering around so I invited them to taste with me.
I already knew the first two salts but it was great to compare them to each other. The first one was Sel Gris, originated from China. It was crunchy and well-balanced.
Then we moved to a French classic, Fleur De Sel de Guerande. The grains are much tinier, it melts well, and it's much saltier than the former.
The Maldon was a salt that none of us really cared for, large crystals, and nothing to write home about. It's origin is from Essex, England.
Next, we tasted The Black Diamond. It was black, had the texture and a burned flavor of flakes of coal, which is exactly what it's mixed with, and should be really dramatic on potato dishes or fish- anything light in color. It's a fun salt. I bet you that if you put it on baked potatoes, you will get a refined reminiscent of bonfire potatoes.
Molokai Red is originated from Hawaii. It's red, has small grains, melts well and is mixed with clay. Thus it had an after taste which is indeed earthy.
Last but not least came the Kauai Guava smoked salt. This salt is derived from the sea water of Kauai that is afterward smoked using Guava wood. This salt got our attention! It has a definite smoky flavor. A comparison to bacon was made. Let me tell you, all my kosher readers: I think we found a gourmet solution to replace this naughty ingredient. I couldn't help but think about my next chocolate brownies and how they will enjoy this smoky addition.
If you are as curious as I am to try new flavors, this is such a fun way to do so. Everyone who came by to my house was so open to try and analyze the flavor. It was a spontaneous tasting party. The next set I am getting is the one that has salt infused with truffle, sugar maple smoked, and vanilla infused.
I can't wait to try more sets from this company. The owner, Mark Bitterman, an acclaimed selmelier, also wrote a book, Salted: A Manifesto on The World's Most Essential Mineral With Recipes.

Next blog: I am going to explain how to salt your food correctly, which salts to use, and how to salt just like a professional chef.

1 comment: