Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

The Healing Power of Friendship

  
  A short while ago, as a result of a stupid accident, I found myself with a broken leg, after surgery,and having to deal with the reality of being unable to move too much.
  As my neurotic usual self, I would probably move from crying to being really nasty to my poor husband and then crying again. But because we have two kids and I would still like to remain married in two months, I had to create a frame of mind that will keep me sane in the weeks to come.
I decided to accept the situation and deal with every hour at a time instead of learning about all of what's going to happen ahead. So far so good but honestly, what keeps my head up is the warmth of my friends.
  I am a friendly person and I have an optimistic view about people. Howoever, the amount of caring that my friends have shown me was like this huge lesson about the wonderful people out there.
  My friends are busy: they have jobs, children and zero available time. Yet, they found it for me. From phone calls to visits in snow storms to just coming by with a treat to make me happy.
  And the food they came with could have fed a whole village. More than food to my stomach it was food to my soul. I felt that since they could not wave a wand and take away the broken leg, they baked, cooked, shopped, conversed, bought pants to go over my cast, and more than anything were there for me, willing to step out of their comfort zone.
  My dear friends, In the midst of a very miserable time, I feel so blessed! And it's all because of you.
I am thanking each and every one of you for caring -each person in their unique way and ability.
  I would like to give you a fragment of the recipes for food that my beloved friends prepared for me.
It was delicious, and if you will make it with the love that they made it with, you will for sure make food that will be significant to anyone who eats from it.

Cheese or spinach puffs (aka in Hebrew – Burekas): (This recipe comes from my friend E. A busy career woman who had time to come with her husband in the midst of a snow storm, just to bring us an amazing dinner.)
2 pkgs Pillsbury puff pastry dough (each sheet cut into 9 squares about 3”x3”). She usually gets the “Mazor’s” brand at a kosher/middle-eastern store.
For the cheese filling (for 2 pkgs of dough):
2 cups thinly shredded cheese (I prefer the Italian mix or Mexican mix)
1 cup feta cheese
1 egg
1 tsp Salt
¼ tsp pepper

For a Spinach filling (for 2 pkgs of dough):
2 pkgs frozen chopped spinach thawed and squeesed
1 cup feta cheese
1 egg
1 tsp Salt
¼ tsp pepper
Other types of fillings:
Sautéd mushrooms, onions and garlic, meat & spices
For the top:
1 whipped egg (you can use a fork to whip the egg)
Sesame seeds
Heat your oven to 350F
1)Mix the filling ingredients.
2) Put a tsp full of mixture in each square, close on a diagonal and press the 2 open
sides together with a fork. Brush with egg, sprinkle sesame seeds.
3) Bake on a cookie sheet layered with parchment paper at for 20-25 minutes until golden brown.

T is my friend who brings smiles to every room. When she cooks for you , you know you're covered for the whole week!
Green beans in a garlic sauce:
1 LB green beans, edges trimmed.
3 coves of garlic, thinly chopped
Chopped almonds
salt & pepper to taste
2 Tbs olive oil
In a large saute pan heat the oil and the garlic. Add the beans and the spices, and saute until still firm but not raw, for about 5 minutes. Sprinkle the almonds over the beans.

H is a dear friend who proved to be a true one. With tact and grace she is willing to do everything to put a smile on my face.
Chicken with mushroom sauce:
8 pieces of chicken- thighs, drumsticks or both
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 medium onion, diced
Mini Portabella mushrooms, sliced
2 cloves of garlic, whole
Paprika & Pepper
1) Sprinkle a generous amount of salt, pepper, paprika In the oil, saute the chicken until browned.Transfer the chicken to a plate and add the onion. Saute, until tender and add the garlic cloves. Cook for another 1 minute. Add the mushrooms, salt and saute until the mushrooms are tender.
2) Put the chicken on the “bed” of mushroom,onions. Add the chicken broth. Bring to boil and lower to simmer. Cook for 45 minutes.
3) Take the chicken out and continue to cook the liquid and vegetables until it's about half the amount. Add 1 tablespoon of butter and mix it in. ( If you're kosher, don't be stressed- you can mix into the vegetables some flour and then bring to boil and concentrate while mixing well. You will get a thick gravy instead of a sauce.)

S is a new friend, but she is such a delight. I'm happy to see her every time she comes. And she does not come empty handed- the woman is a master in soup making.
S's red lentil soup:
½ onion, thinly chopped
3 cups red lentils
1 smoked sausage of your choice, diced into 1/4” cubes.
2 tbs olive oil
½ tsp cumin
6 cups of water
salt and pepper to taste
1) In a large pot, saute the onion in the olive oil , until tender. Sprinkle some salt over the onions.
2) Add the sausage and saute for another 2 minutes.
3) Add the lentils and more salt, plus pepper and cumin, and the water. Bring to boil and lower to simmer. Cook for 45 minutes. Taste and adjust the seasoning.



No comments:

Post a Comment